14.1.09

Pastaroccoli~

Against my true heart-felt desires, I haven’t been living on a diet of Doritos and Macaroni & Cheese during my time on the veg. diet. Rather, I’ve been doing my best to make creative meals that stupefy my vegetarian presumptions. Ok, maybe not stupefy, but I have had a few good meals. Here’s the thing: When I am on the veg. diet I think about my meal choices more, planning them out, sometimes even minutes beforehand. Eating, now, is more than just filling a hole, it’s making a choice because I’ve put myself in this vegetarian mess.
At the outset of this experiment I went grocery shopping, spending about 75 dollars on vegetarian foods. 75 DOLLARS! My hope then was that this food would last all month for me, but I’m starting to have my doubts. Tonight I had Pastaroccoli: Pasta mixed in with frozen broccoli. Part of my problem is that I didn’t put together meals when I went shopping, I just bought a bunch of frozen veggies, some tortillas, fish, and did my best to avoid the meat case.
The meals are good, yes, however the problem is cost. Not necessarily because the food costs more, but I find myself wanting after a meal. The meals don’t stick with me like I want them to. Or else the case is that I’m not satisfied like I am after eating a side of pork. I’ve found myself searching the cupboards after eating looking for something sweet or junky. I do this sometimes when I eat meat, but it’s very compelling these days.
That’s the word so far on the veggie world that I’m wallowing in. I plan on trying to stretch out the groceries with the hope of making them last until the end of the month. This means a lot of cauliflower, broccoli, and oatmeal…oh, and I still have a can of sardines lurking the back of the pantry creepily calling my name. Turns out they are a good source of Omega 3s.

No comments: