28.1.09

Restaurant Review From Awhile Back...


Nearby restaurant review~
I wonder if anyone gets tired of eating at the school, or of choking down their home made lunch; and if they do, where would they go for a bite? I set to find out.

My first brilliant plan was to head down Harmon place rd to Joe’s Garage, or the Nick and Eddie Restaurant, but I soon realized these places weren’t quite what I wanted. A two-figure lunch on a four-figure income was out of the question, cheap food + Students = Soulmates, and these places didn’t have cheap food. So I hoofed it down Hennepin Ave, past the Subway(because we’ve all been there) and on to Davanni’s, situated on the corner of 12th st. I was hoping for a one of a kind restaurant, not a chain like Davanni’s; but it’s a local chain and I had never been to one before.

After looking at the menu pasted to the front window I decided upon the “hoagie of the month combo” which promised special pricing. Van Halen was pulsing through the speakers as I entered and walked up to the order counter. I was immediately and cordially asked for my order even though I had that stupefied “I can’t find my ‘hoagie of the month combo’ on the big order menu” look on my face. When I asked the cashier which hoagie the hoagie of the month was I was disappointed at his response.

“Well, any of them” he said.
“Oh” said I.

I frantically searched the board for a hoagie of my liking and fixed my eyes on the roast beef hoagie. The sandwich itself was $5.99, so I excitedly hoped that my hoagie of the month combo meal would pleasantly surprise me with it’s special pricing. It unfortunately didn’t at $8.88.

Davanni’s offers Coke fountain products including PowerAde, they also have 4 kinds of iced tea. After a short wait my sandwich arrived, and my what a sandwich! A monstrous looking hoagie wrapped in dark brown wheat bread, with plenty of lettuce, tomato, and mayo on it’s insides. My chips were nearly forgotten, until I sheepishly asked for them at the counter. The garlic parmesan flavor of the chips complimented my sandwich, which seemed to have the perfect combination of elements, except meat. I was half tempted to stand up and ask “where’s the beef?”. My sandwich was good, yes, but I wanted more than one deli thin layer of roast beef on my hoagie. It’s a six dollar sandwich! Could I at least have two layers of roast beef on my hoagie? Hello? Is this thing on?

The coffee brown décor of Davanni’s is quaint and inviting, making for an ideal spot to meet with an old friend for a long lunch and some catching up. And if conversation runs out you can always get up and rock out to the mildly intrusive 80’s music playing over the speakers. They offer some great pizza combos like a medium pizza with two drinks and some garlic bread for 15-something, or a Large pizza with 4 drinks and more garlic bread for $22.51. It doesn’t beat Domino’s for price, but I’m willing to bet it beats domino’s for taste tenfold.

So, is it worth the trip? Well, I don’t know people! If you’re moping around by yourself looking for a place to fill the hole in your gut, then no, 9 bucks can get you more elsewhere. But if you’re looking for a place to take that ‘sweet little biscuit’ you met in the science building without looking like the complete tightwad that you are, then yes. Like I said, Davanni’s ambiance is a great place to sit and talk, all while having some pretty decent under 20 bucks for two(under $15 if you play your cards right).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fun fact - I associate Davanni's with the birth of my kids; particularly the first one. Fairview-Riverside hospital is down the street from a Davanni's, so the only time I have ever eaten at one was before or after one of my children were born. With Ella we were there for over a week, so I had it more than once.

Now, did you not have a ball reading that fact?