25.9.08

A Snippet of the Lakes

I decided to go to Niagara Falls, but we ran out of time pissing around with Lake Huron. What a chore that lake was. So Impossible to get to. We finally found a place to dip, it was cold and unsatisfying; even after a long day in the car it was unsatisfying. You drove to Lake Erie from there. I love the memory of that night; dusk, going through the countryside with the windows down, our swimsuits on. You ditched cops a few times because you were so skittish around them, even though you were doing nothing wrong.

There was a beach at Bradley Point that was perfect for that night. There were people there with beach fires and kids playing on the coarse sand. We went to the very edge of that beach hoping for some seclusion. The water of Lake Erie looked so milky, it looked so expensive. Thanks for everything Lake Erie.

We drove late on Saturday night, stopping at the very edge of Canada looking for a bar, and I could feel Lake Erie still in your hair. When I found a bar for us, you chickened out. Said you didn’t want to go now. We drove late into that night up the western shore of Huron, looking for a secluded place to pitch the tent. We decided on a wayside rest stop and while we pulled our goods from the car, you got uneasy and said you didn’t want to stay there, I obliged. We drove into some dipshit town, looking around for a protected knoll, we drove out of town and back in again. Until you and I both were utterly frustrated. You because you weren’t into the adventure of finding a place, me because you were irritable. I settled on a spot behind a mini-storage building and felt as though you hated me for it. The next morning we had breakfast at the dipshit town diner. It felt strange to be in a restaurant that still had a smoking section and while we were sitting in it I reminisced of Sunday brunches after church. When I paid for the meal I asked the man who took our money where we could swim, he sent us to the town park. We swam in the icky-bottomed Lake, it was cold, but the sun grabbed my back and warmed it. Did I tell you then that you’re a goddess when your hair is wet? It makes your eyes larger, brighter and your ears look like olive branches.

1 comment:

there by the grace said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.