3.9.08

2008 Toyota Prius Review: Part 4


On our way south to Oklahoma we achieved a respectable 43.7 MPG average, though on the way back north, during the throws of near 80MPH interstate travel , our average was only 37.5 MPG. This is slightly troubling to me. With all of the hype, I’ve come to expect more from the buzz of hybrids(both the social buzz and the buzz of those teeny weeny sewing machine motors). Was I disappointed? Well, frankly, yes. I wanted 50; 60; even 1000 miles per gallon and all I got was a measly 43.7, that’s only double what I’m used to! I had also come to expect other miracles from the Prius, things like; putting me in direct contact with Al Gore, giving me a better green thumb, and providing me with the power to shoot electricity from my fingertips…each of which I didn’t receive from the car.

I have a friend with a Volkswagen Beetle that has the 1.9 litre diesel engine who compulsively lies about truthfully claims getting up to 45MPG with his car. Putting the higher price of diesel fuel aside, I wonder, "Why to bother with the hybrid vehicle?". It costs more and doesn’t have near the longevity of a diesel car. Is it impolite to question hybrid authority? Are these silly observations? No? Is mentioning bananas and their ability to fit almost perfectly into tailpipes silly? Yes? Well good.
To Do: Make silly observation….check.

All in all I found the Toyota Prius to be a great road vehicle(even though it is more economical in the city), it was quiet, the 1.5 litre gasoline mill/200hp electric motor cruised at 80 with no fuss, and it had comfortable enough seats for a compact vehicle. I think the sub-30 grand price tag is pretty generous as well due to the huge amount of gadgetry and the novelty of driving a hybrid. My biggest complaints are the lack of storage space because of the rear battery compartment and of course the fact that this car fell out of the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down, and landed on it’s already homely face.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I love the fact that it feel from the ugly tree and happen to hit every branch on the way down...landing on it's homely face. Your words are so beautiful! :)