9.10.08

The Nod

There is a subtlety between men, it’s unspoken, untaught, instinctive. I can’t recall when I first noticed it, though when I did, I’m sure I understood it’s presence. There you are, walking swiftly down a hallway in a hospital, or on a sidewalk towards your favorite bar, and upon making eye contact with the man walking in an opposite direction, you nod. It is almost indecipherable from your normal motion, undetectable even, but he nods back, acknowledging your cordial greeting. It’s small and quick, noble and upright, elusive and standard. No frilly waves; no boisterous ‘hellos’; only a slight nod that asserts each of your existences and manhood. A built in operation that says so much.

I would like to know then if women are aware of the nod. It could be that I’m naive and the nod’s presence is known and used by everyone. However, I like to think of the nod as the secret handshake of men. Tell me women, do you know the nod? Can you grasp it’s significance? Have you ever attempted to use the ‘nod’ and failed miserably? I’d love to know.

3 comments:

Philip said...

Don't forget: there's an upward nod *and* a downward nod! Aside from the motion, I honestly don't grasp any difference between the two except that you are more likely to receive the upward nod from an acquaintance.

Unknown said...

I've nodded at women my whole life. Never thought about it. I always just figured they were in on it.

But they don't know about the nod? So what have they been thinking this whole time? There must be hundreds of women in my past who are strangers to me but who think I am a freak.

This is very unsettling.

Lemon Grass said...

As requested, here is the opinion/findings of a woman:

The nod is too mysterious and to be avoided at all costs when dealing with women. Women have a funny way of interpreting silence... funny in the tragic sense.

Women don't nod to one another. Usually a "Hey," "Hi," or "Hello," is used. In some instances, a woman may remain silent, but will smile cheerily so as to put the other at ease.